The SI Bombay Chembur unit of Soroptimist International was founded in November 1995 under the dynamic leadership of Dr. Daphne Pillai. It was chartered on 2nd March, 1997 by Ms. Elizabeth Hughes. Soroptimist International Bombay Chembur was formed to inspire, motivate and guide women to lead their lives with dignity and pride through affirmative action and networking. It has a vision to bring about a positive change in the lives of women and girls through education, empowerment and development of their skills and abilities. The Bombay Chembur Club was founded in 1995, chartered in 1997 and currently has 21 dedicated members who have a common goal of working towards the upliftment of women and the girl child.
Soroptimist International Bombay Chembur is dedicated to inspire, motivate and guide women to lead their lives with dignity and pride through affirmative action and networking.
Soroptimist International Bombay Chembur is committed:
- To bring about a positive change in the lives of women and girls through education, empowerment and development of skills and abilities to help them harness their fullest potential to serve the community, society and the world at large.
- To create a world where women are encouraged to broaden their horizons, realize their dreams and have an equal right in creating a strong and peaceful world.
- To work towards the improvement of the economic, financial and social conditions of women and girls especially in the region of Mumbai.
- To work in the areas of health, hygiene and sanitation for women and girls.
- To encourage and assist women and girls to acquire further education and training leading to financial independence and empowerment.
- To promote equal opportunities for women in all aspects of life and to increase the contribution of women in public life.
- To encourage debate on issues affecting women and their families.
- To provide support to the destitute and abandoned children and senior citizens in society.
- To assist society by raising a collective voice on environmental sustainability issues.
- To promote international goodwill, understanding and friendship.
- By organising fund-raising activities to meet the goals of the organisation.
- By conducting talks and seminars to bring about awareness on relevant issues affecting women and girls.
- By training women and girls in skills that will equip them to achieve financial independence and empowerment.
- By conducting events and activities to motivate women and girls to actively participate in uplifting their status in society.
- By sensitising the community to the different roles of women, through the dissemination of information about woman rights and gender issues.
- By facilitating the celebration of success, to encourage optimism, highlight the positive and increase hope in our society.
- By providing emotional and financial support to the destitute and abandoned children and senior citizens in society.
- By creating awareness on environmental issues and participating in activities relating to the protection of the environment.
- By hosting foreign delegates of Soroptomist International and in turn visiting them to study each other’s projects for the purpose of cross cultural enrichment and augmentation of human resources for uplifting the dignity of women in the world.
- By effective public relations, to raise the profile of Soroptimist International and to extend and develop relationships with external agencies and within the community for the overall betterment of women in society.